Tuesday, April 19, 2016

How did notation about "delusional disorder" end up in my medical records, as revealed during my family's scheme to have me declared a ward of the state?


(From prezi.com)
Dealing with my family's efforts to have my wife, Carol, and me declared wards of the state was baffling--and more than a little infuriating. But the case, which was dismissed at the opposing side's request, did yield some intriguing information. And it indicates the effort to discredit me as a journalist--and to ruin Carol and me as a couple--has extended from Alabama to Missouri, with my blood relatives apparently more than willing to help.

During the course of the case to have Carol and me declared "disabled and incapacitated," the lawyer for my brother Paul asked for our medical records to be produced as part of the discovery process. Judge Carol Aiken--she's actually called a "probate commissioner" under Missouri law--allowed that to happen, even though Carol (my wife) never was served with the complaint/petition in the case. That means Carol never was subject to the court's jurisdiction, but it allowed production of her private medical records anyway. Did the court, my brother, and his attorney (Linda K. Thomas) commit a gross invasion of privacy? I don't know how you could call it anything but that.

As for me, I actually was served with the petition, so I was at least officially a part of the case--and I suppose the production of my medical records was lawful, although it apparently did not provide much of interest to my family.

It did, however, produce information of great interest to me. According to three sources (two lawyers and a nurse practitioner), my medical records include a notation about something called "delusional disorder." How did the notation get in there? The nurse practitioner, Matt Charles of Burrell Behavioral Health, apparently wrote it. Why did he write it, given that he never had mentioned such a condition to me? I don't know.

What is delusional disorder? Here is how Psychology Today describes it:

Delusional disorder refers to a condition associated with one or more nonbizarre delusions of thinking—such as expressing beliefs that occur in real life such as being poisoned, being stalked, being loved or deceived, or having an illness, provided no other symptoms of schizophrenia are exhibited.

Delusions may seem believable at face value, and patients may appear normal as long as an outsider does not touch upon their delusional themes. Mood episodes are relatively brief compared with the total duration of the delusional periods. Also, these delusions are not due to a medical condition or substance abuse.

How can the condition manifest itself? Here's more from Psychology Today?

Themes of delusions may fall into the following types: erotomanic type (patient believes that a person, usually of higher social standing, is in love with the individual); grandiose type (patient believes that he has some great but unrecognized talent or insight, a special identity, knowledge, power, self-worth, or special relationship with someone famous or with God); jealous type (patient believes his partner has been unfaithful); persecutory type (patient believes he is being cheated, spied on, drugged, followed, slandered, or somehow mistreated); somatic type (patient believes he is experiencing physical sensations or bodily dysfunctions—such as foul odors or insects crawling on or under the skin—or is suffering from a general medical condition or defect); mixed type (characteristics of more than one of the above types, but no one theme dominates); or unspecified type (patient's delusions do not fall in described categories).

Was I actually diagnosed with delusional disorder, or was this just a note that Matt Charles decided should be in my records? Is Matt Charles, as a nurse practitioner, qualified to make such a diagnosis? I don't know the answer to those questions, but I'm interested in learning more.

I should say this, however: I like Matt Charles--we both are graduates of Kickapoo High School in Springfield, MO, and we like to think we are the second and third most handsome guys ever to graduate from Kickapoo. (Brad Pitt, the actor, seems to have No. 1 locked up for a while.) Matt has treated me professionally and provided support during the most difficult two years or so of my life; I appreciate what he and Burrell have done for me.

But I don't understand this: If Matt thought I had delusional disorder, why didn't he tell me? I didn't find out it was on my record until our court-appointed lawyer, Dan Menzie, saw the records after they had been produced in discovery. Doesn't a health-care professional have an obligation to say something like, "Roger, a few of your statements make me think you have delusional disorder. Here's what that is, and here is what we are going to do to help you with it"?

I never heard that. When I asked Matt Charles what caused him to make the notation, he said some of the things I'd told him were "outside the norm." He didn't give any examples, but I had this thought: "Haven't almost all people with PTSD experienced something outside the norm? Isn't that why they have PTSD? Wouldn't being abducted in your own home by sheriff's deputies and hauled to jail for five months--with no legal justification--count as "outside the norm"?  But that doesn't mean that episode was a product of my "delusions," does it? It's a matter of public record that really happened. In fact, I haven't made any factual statements to Matt Charles that weren't true.

In a few instances, he has asked my opinion about some event, and I've provided it--noting that this was an educated guess, not a statement of fact.

So, how could Matt Charles know I made any statement that represented a delusion? When I put that question to him, he more or less admitted that he couldn't. "I'd have to follow you around for a long time, and I haven't done that."

How did the notation wind up in my records then? I can think of only two possibilities: (1) Matt Charles just threw it in there on a whim; (2) Someone instructed him to put it in there--or someone else did it on his own.

I've visited Matt Charles roughly every six weeks for about two years, and he does not seem like the sort to act on a whim; I think he is too professional for that. Option No. 2 seems more likely to me. In fact, Matt Charles told me he would remove the notation, but I'm not sure if that has been done.

That takes us back to Alabama--home to numerous powerful types who don't much care for investigative journalists who accurately reveal their foibles and schemes. What better way to discredit such a journalist than to have the words "delusional disorder" placed in his medical records.

Why, if a journalist is "delusional," you can't trust anything he writes.

I'll be the first to say that I have PTSD and depression, and I've been receiving treatment for both. But I do not have anything approaching delusional disorder--and my primary health-care provider (Matt Charles) never told me that I did.

Did someone tamper with my medical records, perhaps making both me and Matt Charles look bad?

I don't know for sure, but I would not be surprised.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delusional disorder? So, I guess you just imagined being thrown in jail for five months? That didn't really happen?

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of delusional disorder. Your post educated me on the subject. Thank you. It sounds similar to schizophrenia.

Anonymous said...

More evidence that your reporting has been on target. I doubt anyone would care if you had "delusional disorder"--if your journalism had been inaccurate.

Anonymous said...

There has been a lot of delusional disorder lately.

Another of Roger's delusions was that he apparently believed that Governor Bentley and Bentley's new best bitch Becky were doing something wrong, and that he was exposing them to some sort of public scrutiny for their alleged wrongdoing.



Anonymous said...

Maybe you are joking, @11:42, but seems pretty clear Roger's reporting on Bentley and Becky was not delusional.

Anonymous said...

The powers that be don't have to kill or assassinate their critics like Roger here. All they have to do is ruin them financially, emotionally, and spritually and this great society we live in will Finish them off.

Same concept as blaming a rape victim for being raped. We don't like to cater or acknowledge the person has been wronged. We just ignore them label them assassinate their character etc.


Roger you should be seeing and expert who specializes in victims of your type. Your a challenging case because you present a number of unique characteristics that come a long with what you've experienced. In other words there's not much presedent on what you've been through.

Doctors can handle all the stereotypical traumas like "war trauma" and a lot of folks think that as the only thing that merits a ptsd diagnosis.

The guys a nurse practioner Roger. When did he arrive at this diagnosis. Does it have a date where he wrote it?

These folks that so cavalearly trounce you without addressing the merits seem to be ill equipped themselves. This is insulting to not only you hur your sources and dedicated readers too.

Anonymous said...

Yeah sounds like scizophrenia never heard of this before.

Anonymous said...

Along with PTSD, you probably have PPACSD: Post and Present Alabama Crook Stress Disorder (caused by the same vectors).

DM
Phenix City

legalschnauzer said...

Good questions, @2:14, and I hope to arrive at answers soon. So far, I have not seen the records. I asked our attorney for a copy, and he said he did not have one, although he had seen the "delusional disorder" notation. He checked with the opposing attorney, who had a copy but said the judge had ordered her not to share it with anyone--including Carol and me, it appears, and they are our records. Going to ask our health-care folks for a copy.

Anonymous said...

That lady in Flint was crazy. Telling people the city and state were poisoning people with the water. State denied it, city denied it, feds denied it...turned out that she was right and it was a coverup.

Anonymous said...

LS: Thought you should check out the below link. Saw the documentary last night and it is compelling stuff. The "Good American" is Bill Binney and his team, who were deep-sixed by a bunch of butt-covering numbskulls in DoD, NSA and their money-grubbing private-sector contractor pals.

http://agoodamerican.org/

e.a.f. said...

my first thoughts are, did he in fact write those comments or did someone else and sign his name to it. I do hope no one thinks I'm delusional for writing this, but it did cross my mind.

Delusional disorder. Haven't heard of the "disorder". Have heard it mentioned that people can be delusional, but its usually part of a larger "disease/disorder". Anyhow who in this day and age isn't "delusional". You need to be at least a bit "delusional" or you couldn't get through life.

When it comes to being delusional, I would suggest its more from where you're coming from. some of us thing Trump is delusional. Some might say the Govenor of Alabama is delusional thinking his former mistress was 'realy' attracted to him. Well like lets get real, would she have been interested in him if he was penniless and living on the street, at his age.

Having read your blog for several years, there is nothing about it which leads me to conclude you are delusional. Perhaps some think of you as delusional because you fight to correct wrongs. But that isn't delusional, crazy perhaps, but not delusional. (just joking about the crazy). There are people all over the world just like you, you write to expose things they believe to be exposed and changed for the better. Its actually called being a social aware

Anonymous said...

It's tough being right when your government is wrong.

Anonymous said...

Seems pretty spot on to me...

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by your comment, 9:25? What's "spot on"?

legalschnauzer said...

The following was sent to us via Facebook:I just read your husband's blog. I was a psychiatric nurse practitioner. I worked with people with delusional disorders. These patients believed things such as... following a car accident a woman believed she had glass in her stomach and refused to eat. A man who believed his neighborhood would be flooded and went into all their houses to shut off the water. Schizophrenics suffer from delusions that are most often associated with the auditory hallucinations they experience. Alzheimer's patients become paranoid and often delusional about family members stealing their belongings or poisoning their food. Delusional disorder differs from these examples as the false and fixed belief is not a symptom of another psychiatric illness as was noted in the blog.
A PNP can diagnose and prescribe medications but these actions can only be done under the supervision of a board certified psychiatrist. Delusional disorder is an inappropriate diagnosis in patients who have ANY type of evidence that supports their claims/ allegations. In many cases, confronting a patient about his delusions, only creates mistrust and hampers the therapist-client relationship. My questions about Matt evolve around what information he used to make the diagnosis...
Is Matt a certified psychiatric NP? Did the NP ever state that he believed Roger? Did Roger ever give him documents that supported his thoughts that he found credible? Did the NP use past medical records from AL that influenced his thinking? Did the NP use family reports regarding their perception of Roger's mental health? Was Roger treated for depression, severe enough to exhibit psychotic symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations? Did NP prescribe medications for Roger such as antidepressants or antipsychotics? Was there an entry in the MR indicating a positive response to these medications with a decrease in symptoms?
I was diagnosed with PTSD following the violent assault which I still struggle with today. I remain paranoid about the police but my thoughts are not deemed pathological/ delusional. I have spent years dealing with the many aspects of betrayal, from those are supposed to protect and serve to family members who thought I was on drugs (thanks to my ex- husband), to the elected government officials who chose to bury my case. If I ever felt my health care professionals doubted what I had been through, it would have been devastating.
I hope this information assists you in your search for answers. I also found several articles about PTSD and delusions. I will continue to help you in any way I can as we share the experience of police brutality and surviving police trying to kill us. http://ptsd.about.com/od/relatedconditions/a/Psychosis.htm

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt. This belief is based on many of the things you have posted over the years, like everyone is out to get you.
Roger, you really do have a mental problem.

legalschnauzer said...

Where have I posted that "everyone is out to get me"? Point to a single delusion that appears in this blog. In other words, point to some belief or factual statement that I've made, and you know it to be false.

By the way, Matt Charles doesn't even agree with Matt Charles. He has removed the "delusional disorder" notation from my medical records. I just talked with him about it.

If you think I have a mental problem, do you know me? Have we met? If not, how could you know anything about my mental state. Do you have some training in psychiatry or psychology? You sound like an emotional and intellectual "empty suit" to me.

Feel free to contact me at rshuler3156@gmail.com or (205) 381-5673, and I'd be glad to discuss. Or you might try asking Robert Bentley and Rebekah Mason about the "delusional" nature of my reporting on their case.

Anonymous said...

C'mon, @9:42, tell us who you are--or are you going to be a coward like the rest of the con men who like to pick at LS's credibility. You are going to say the publisher of this blog has a mental problem, but you don't have the balls to stand up and take ownership of that comment? You sound like the guy who is always telling others to "grow a pair"--when you don't have a pair yourself.

I think you are jealous because LS has stood up for something, his life has meant something, while you probably are (or have been) a worthless bureaucrat who has never taken a stand in his life. Plus, it must really gall you that LS's credibility is at an all-time high, with a story he broke making national news on Rachel Maddow, WaPo, NYT, John Oliver, etc.

Prove me wrong, @9:42, if you have the guts. I won't be holding my breath because I doubt you have any guts

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you've done Roger. You've proven that the system can be stacked against a person from those who enjoy high political or socio-economic levels, even in using state and local agencies. You've also proven this country is similar to a communist or Third World country in punishing whistleblowers or dissidents. You are not the only one trying to fight corruption, and certainly won't be the last. Remember the words of Gandhi: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Ignore the likes of 9:42 who is obviously working for the other side.

legalschnauzer said...

Thanks for the encouraging comment, @3:06. Especially like that quote from Gandhi. Had not heard it before.

Anonymous said...

I love your story. You are exacting revenge. May God bless you against these fake Christian politicians.

Anonymous said...

"Themes of delusions may fall into the following types: ...patient believes that he has some great but unrecognized talent or insight...patient believes he is being cheated, spied on, drugged, followed, slandered, or somehow mistreated..."

Roger, read some of your previous posts with the above criteria in mind. If the shoe fits...

legalschnauzer said...

Here is a challenge for you, @10:00. Look at your second line--"patient believes he is being cheated . . . " Note the word "believes." I think you would have a hard time finding a post where I have ever said I "believe" I'm being cheated. Rather, I have consistently shown how--in my cases and those involving others--courts have ruled contrary to law. People wind up getting cheated, yes, but that's not what the posts generally say. They show, with citations to actual law, court records, etc.--how courts get it wrong, a lot.

In other words, my reporting is not about what I "believe." It's about what I know, and can show, to be true.

If you can find a single post where I have falsely stated that a court got a ruling wrong, please let me know. I doubt that you have the intelligence or the integrity to even attempt such an endeavor, but maybe you will surprise me.

My guess is that you are intellectually lazy, and you have an agenda that is being threatened by my reporting. Somehow, it comforts you to believe that I'm "delusional" when even my health-care provider who apparently made the notation doesn't believe it and has removed it from the record.

Come to think of it, you seem to believe you have some unrecognized talent to diagnose health problems in people you don't know. Sounds kind of delusional to me.

If the shoe fits . . .

P. Atkinson said...

Mr. Schuler, I'm very surprised by your responce to this. The most likely explanation is that the health care professional in question simply noted behavior on your part that he thought might be consistent with some sort of delusion. I do not consider this a diagnosis, but I do think that clearly you should consult a psychologist and explore this further. If it smacked him in the face as it were, it is likely obvious to many others who deal with you. A nurse practitioner is not a trained psychologist, let alone a psychiatrist.

I say this from a place of real, genuine caring: Reading your blog posts going back months and years, I see some indications of paranoia and a few other equally disturbing things of various kinds. You might be trapped in what we would call a Deucalion cycle: you see enemies, so behave in such a way that you create those enemies, thus justifying your initial beliefs. I'm sorry to report this, but this is not uncommon in a paraphile who cannot reconcile his sexual interests with his ethical standards.

You may also wish to have a serious talk with your wife about her alleged infidelities. I know you have stated a few times that this is water under the bridge and that she should be contacted directly about it, and you have removed posts indicating her liaison. Real or imagined I think that talk needs to happen.

Further information please contact me.

legalschnauzer said...

P. Atkinson --

Please give me your contact information. I would like to talk with you.