![]() |
| (Instagram) |
The Trump administration yesterday, in a staggering display of lawlessness, dropped its $10-billion lawsuit against the IRS in exchange for formation of a $1.78 billion fund to benefit White House allies who claim they were wrongfully targeted by the Biden administration. Many Americans probably have never heard of a "collusive lawsuit," which essentially is an elaborate ruse where the parties appear to be in a dispute when they actually are colluding to reach an agreement that will benefit them both. If you think that smells fishy, you are using delicate language. The Trump deal with his own Justice Department is a classic case of collusion, and it emits a suffocating stench.
Here is how the Legal information Institute at Cornell Law School describes such a lawsuit:
A collusive suit (also referred to as a friendly suit) is a lawsuit where the parties are not actually in disagreement but are cooperating to steer the court towards some agreed-upon conclusion. As seen in United States v. Johnson, collusive suits are not allowed in federal court because they are not adversarial.
If that's the case, how was Donald Trump able to file his garbage case and walk away with a favorable result? We will be examining that question and more in upcoming posts, but first let's examine reporting from the Associated Press (AP) that shows the rule of law is battered beyond recognition in Trump's America. How grim is this? One legal and ethics expert in Washington D.C., called it "one of the single most corrupt acts in American history." Here is how AP set the stage for the legal carnage that followed:
The Trump administration announced Monday the creation of a nearly $1.8 billion fund to compensate allies of the Republican president who believe they have been unjustly investigated and prosecuted, an arrangement that Democrats and government watchdogs derided as “corrupt” and unconstitutional.
The “Anti-Weaponization Fund” of $1.776 billion is part of a settlement that resolves President Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns. It will allow people who believe they were targeted for prosecution for political purposes, including by the Biden administration Justice Department, to apply for payouts, creating what acting Attorney General Todd Blanche called “a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”
Blanche went on to make this astounding statement:
“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement that made no mention of how investigations and prosecutions of Trump’s political opponents under his watch have exposed the Justice Department to the same claims of politicized law enforcement that he said he opposed.
Those words must make folks like Letitia James and Adam Schiff guffaw. In short, Trump and Blanche seem to have ears made of such thick tin that they can't hear how preposterous their words sound to others. Blanche is expected to be pressed on the fund when he testifies today on Capitol Hill about the Justice Department budget.
That Trump and his No. 1 toady, Blanche, would invoke the terms "lawfare" and "weaponization" is a case of hypocrisy on amphetamines -- or in Trump's case, Adderall. After all, Trump openly has called for his perceived political opponents to be prosecuted, which led to Blanche indicting former FBI Director James Comey for "arranging seashells by the seashore."
Here are some obvious questions this all raises: Who are these Trump allies who claim the Biden DOJ targeted them? No one seems to know. How were they targeted, and what investigations or charges did they face? No one seems to know that, either. Did they present evidence of their innocence to the White House before the lawsuit was filed? You guessed it; No one knows. We do have this from a report at TIME magazine:
While the DOJ did not release detailed eligibility criteria, officials said the fund is intended for individuals who believe they were improperly targeted by the federal government on political, personal, or ideological grounds.
Previous reporting by The New York Times and ABC News ahead of the fund’s official announcement indicated that it could be used to compensate Trump allies, including the nearly 1,600 people charged in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, who claim they were unfairly prosecuted.
You read that correctly: Those who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 could financially gain from their misdeeds, which reportedly included severely beating law-enforcement officers. That's patriotism, Trump style. Try not to reach too quickly for a vomit bag. Let's return to AP's coverage, where we learn Democrats in Congress are struggling to contain their outrage:
Nearly 100 Democrats in the House of Representatives signed onto a legal brief urging a judge to block what they described as an unprecedented resolution that they said would unjustly enrich people close to the president with taxpayer dollars and open the door to meritless claims of political persecution.
The fund would represent not only a highly unorthodox resolution but also a further demonstration of the administration’s eagerness to reward allies of Trump who have long insisted that they have been unjustly investigated and in some cases charged and convicted. Most notably, the president on his first day back in office pardoned or commuted the sentences of supporters who rioted at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His Justice Department since then has approved payouts to supporters entangled in the Trump-Russia investigation and investigated and prosecuted some of his perceived adversaries.
Trump’s attorneys suggested in their court filing seeking to dismiss the case that the resolution would not be reviewable by a judge. But a group of 93 members of Congress filed a brief teeing up a challenge.
“This case is nothing but a racket designed to take $1.7 billion of taxpayer dollars out of the Treasury and pour it into a huge slush fund for Trump at DOJ to hand out to his private militia of insurrectionists, rioters, and white supremacists, including those who brutally beat police officers on January 6, 2021, and sycophant accomplices to his election stealing schemes,” Rep. Jamie Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement.
I would say Jamie Raskin nicely summed it up. If he didn't, we still have this, from a report at AOL and HuffPost:
“Of all the corrupt things he has done, this is one of the most depraved,” Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in a statement. “No president should be able to use the Department of Justice as a personal rewards program for the people who helped him attack our democracy. . . . ”
“President Trump’s action against the federal government he currently leads is a collusive lawsuit that undermines the separation of powers, frustrates Congress’ lawmaking prerogative, and ― unless rightfully dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction ― could siphon billions of taxpayer dollars into the pockets of the President, his family, and his allies,” the Democrats said in their filing.
And finally, we have this:
“By settling his absurd $10-billion lawsuit against his own administration, Trump and the Justice Department just engaged in the most brazen act of self-dealing in the history of the presidency, and did so quickly in order to avoid the scrutiny of the judicial process,” Donald Sherman, president of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), said in a statement. “This is one of the single most corrupt acts in American history.”
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)