Regular readers know that 2008 has not been a happy-go-lucky year here in SchnauzerLand.
"Highlights" included yours truly being screwed out of my job at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and having a portion of the rights to our own house unlawfully auctioned by a corrupt Republican sheriff. I chronicled this theft of our own home in a number of posts, including this one and this one.
Mrs. Schnauzer and I will be more than happy to see 2008 in the rearview mirror. But the year's hardships have made us appreciate it that much more when someone gives us reason to have a good belly laugh.
Such a moment came recently from one of our regular Mississippi correspondents. Our friend shared with us her concern that, with the first wave of Baby Boomers pushing age 60 and beyond, it might be time to update the lyrics to some of the musical hits from the 1960s, '70s, and maybe a few from the '80s.
Some examples our friend suggested:
* Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Walker--Herman's Hermits
* I Get By With a Little Help From Depends--The Beatles
* The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face--Roberta Flack
* Fifty Ways To Lose Your Liver--Paul Simon
* A Whiter Shade of Hair--Procol Harum
* Once, Twice, Three Times to the Bathroom--The Commodores
* You Make Me Feel Like Napping--Leo Sayer
* Papa's Got a Kidney Stone--The Temptations
* It's My Procedure, and I'll Cry If I Want To--Leslie Gore
* On the Commode Again--Willie Nelson
After we finished cackling, Mrs. Schnauzer and I decided to add a few to the list:
* Chair Lift to Heaven--Led Zeppelin
* Assisted Living For the City--Stevie Wonder
* Don't Pull Your Teeth Out On Me, Baby--Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
* Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is (That Judge Wapner Comes On)--Chicago
* Eli Wallach's Coming--Three Dog Night
* Hey You, Get Off of My Lawn--Rolling Stones
* Drool's Out--Alice Cooper
* A.A.R.P. in the USA--John Cougar Mellencamp
* I'm Free Fallin' (And I Can't Get Up)--Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
We welcome your additions to the list.