Leaderboard 728 X 90

Monday, November 12, 2007

Heading for a Showdown?

This story slipped under my radar a few days ago, but I think it is well worth mentioning.

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee has sent a final warning to the Bush White House to provide access to disputed documents and testimony related to the removal last year of nine U.S. attorneys.

The move could push the House closer to a vote on contempt citations for White House counsel Harriet Miers and Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten. The committee filed a formal, 102-page contempt report with the House clerk, laying out its request for testimony from Miers and Bolten. The contempt report can be viewed here.

Bush administration officials continue to signal that they do not intend to negotiate, claiming internal deliberations involving Miers and Bolten are covered by executive privilege.

U.S. Rep. Artur Davis (D-AL) said "Congress has a stake and an interest" in challenging unilateral actions by the White House.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The White House was ordered to retain all emails also.

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.