Friday, August 29, 2008

Riley's Hypocrisy on Gambling Reaches New Heights

You've got to give Governor Bob Riley credit. The guy can make breathtakingly hypocritical statements and not bat an eye.

The latest example of Big Bob's hypocrisy comes on the subject of gambling.

Mayor Larry Langford announced this week that he wants to bring electronic bingo back to the Birmingham Race Course. Riley poohed-poohed the idea. "I don't believe in gambling," the governor said. "I don't believe in it as a revenue source. It might make a lot of people wealthy, but I don't think it's the best thing for the state of Alabama."

Let me repeat: Bob Riley said he does not believe in gambling as a revenue source. If you have a mouthful of liquid, try not to spew it across the room when you read that sentence.

This is the same Bob Riley who was more than happy to take $13 million in Mississippi Choctaw gambling money to help him get elected. And Riley didn't mind one bit that the money was laundered through disgraced GOP lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

So there you have it: Gambling is not a good revenue source for the City of Birmingham, but it is an excellent revenue source for Bob Riley.

Blows the mind. And this guy got elected governor--twice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

legalschnauzer.blogspot.com is a pretty good site so far.

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I’m quite certain I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

Anonymous said...

My wife will get angry if she hears this.
xyzrxyz.2011

online gambling said...

My friend referred me your site. It looks like everyone knows about it, just not me:) until now. I'm going to read your other posts. Keep sharing...

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

legalschnauzer said...

Anon:

Not sure if this is a legit comment or spam. If it's legit, I can't write to you in the p.m. because I don't know who you are. You're Anonymous, remember?